Register of Deeds
Sharon J. Price
Phone: (906) 293-5521
Fax: (906) 293-5553
407 West Harrie St.
Newberry, MI 49868
General Office Hours
Mon - Fri 8:00 - 4:00pm
Vault Hours by APPOINTMENT ONLY
Mon - Fri 8:00 - 3:30pm
For entering and Recording any Original Deed, Mortgage, Lis Pendens, Certified Copy, or Other Instrument:
Regardless of the number of pages, all documents will cost $30.00 to record, this cost is inclusive of Michigan Remonumentation and Register of Deeds Automation fees.
For a document that assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument, the cost is $3.00 for each instrument assigned or discharged (in addition to the $30.00 flat fee)
Tax Certificates: A tax certificate MUST BE OBTAINED from the County Treasurer's Office prior to recording any of the following (MCLA 211.135 )Warranty Deed, Land Contract, Assignment of Land Contract, Covenant Deed, any deed which contains a covenant or warranty
Fee for Tax Certificate:
Up to 25 descriptions $5.00
each additional description $.20
A written instrument subject to tax imposed by MCL 207.505 Sec. 5 (County) and MCL 207.526 Sec. 6 (State) shall state on its face the TOTAL CONSIDERATION of the real property, unless a Real Estate Transfer Tax Valuation Affidavit is filed. There is no fee for filing the Affidavit, however it must state "Real Estate Valuation Affidavit on file" on the document. Transfer tax imposed by each act shall be collected unless said instrument of transfer is exempt from either or both acts and such exemptions are stated on the face of the deed.
Rate of County tax:
$0.55 for each $500 or fraction thereof
Rate of State Tax:
$3.75 for each $500 or fraction thereof
Copies, Searches, and Reports
Searching the real estate record per name $0.50 per year - $5.00 minimum fee
Fixture Filing Search $ 6.00 per name search
Copy, real estate records, per page $ 1.00
Copy, U.C.C. filing, per page $ 1.00
Copy, State or Federal Tax Lien, per page $ 1.00
Copy, Plats of Record $ 2.00
Fee for certification of any of the above copies (per document) $ 10.00
(Note: certified document must be copied in its entirety)
General Recording Requirements:
1. Signatures must be original; names must be typed or printed beneath signatures.
MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (a) (c)
2. No discrepancy shall exist between names printed in the notary acknowledgment and as printed beneath signatures.
MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (a) (b) (c)
3. The address of grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate shall contain the street number address or post office address.
MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)
4. The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on documents executed in Michigan.
MCLA 565.201 (a)
5. Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan require an acknowledgment by a judge, clerk of a court of record or a notary public within this state.
MCLA 565.8; form: MCLA 565.265;565.267
6. A certified copy of the death Certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded (and preferably referenced by Liber and Page on said document) when "survivor" is indicated on the document.
7. Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court.
MCLA 565.401, 565.411
8. The document must be: Legible, black ink, type size 10 point, white 20lb paper, with a blank margin of 2 1/2" at top of first page and 1/2" on all other margins. First page must also have a statement identifying the single recordable event that the instrument evidences. Paper size must be at least 8 1/2" x 11" and at most 8 1/2" x 14".
MCLA 565.201 Sec. 3, Sec. 1 (f)
9. Total value of real property must be stated on the face of the document or a real estate valuation affidavit must be attached.
MCLA 207.504, 207.525
10. Transfer tax shall be collected on the total value of the land being transferred unless exempt from either or both acts; the exemption(s) must be stated on the instrument.
MCLA 207.502, 207.511, MCLA 207.526, 207.533
11. Certificate of trust existence and authority; contents and format. [M.S.A. 26.745(2)]
The certificate shall be in the form of an affidavit.
A certificate of trust existence and authority shall contain all of the following information:
(a) The title of the trust.
(b) The date of the trust agreement and any amendments to the trust agreement.
(c) The name of the settler or grantor and the settler's or grantor's address.
(d) The names and addresses of all of the trustees and successor trustees.
(e) The legal description of the affected real property.
(f) Verbatim reproductions of provisions of the trust agreement, and any amendments to the trust agreement, regarding all of the following:
(i) The powers of the trustee or trustees relating to real property or any interest in real property and restrictions on the powers of the trustee or trustees relating to real property or any interest in real property.(ii) The governing law.(iii) Amendment of the trust relating to the trust provisions described in subdivision (a) to (f)(ii).(g) Certification that the trust agreement remains in full force and effect.
(h) A list of names and addresses of all persons who, at the time the certificate of trust is executed, are trustees of the trust.